CREATING P & T DOSSIERS AS WORD FILES:
HOW TO USE ACTIVITY INSIGHT REPORTS
The online Activity Insight database is used by University College (UC) for its annual faculty performance reviews. The same data can be reported in the format required for P & T dossiers by selecting the Run Custom Report entitled “University Dossier.”
Using the Report feature (NOT Rapid Reports) allows you to select the citation style to be used when compiling the research section, and also allows you to include/exclude the Manuscripts in Progress section depending on the level of review.
The Bio Data form, Narrative Statement, Candidate Signature Form and dividers will automatically download in the correct placement order within the dossier when using the Report feature.
CREATE A P&T DOSSIER BY DOWNLOADING “UNIVERSITY DOSSIER” AS A WORD DOCUMENT
- Go to Activity Insight at https://activityinsight.psu.edu and login.
- Click on " Reports" at the top left. This takes you to Run a Report.
- Select the report to use: University Dossier.
- Select the date range to use (e.g., July 1, 2022 through June 30,2024 for a second-year review).
- Individuals to include: Change Selection. Enter faculty name, then search.
- Check the box next to the name of the faculty member for whom you are creating a dossier.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click “SAVE.”
- Note that the name of the faculty member will be shown in the gray box.
- Use only enabled accounts.
- Select report options
- Select citation style (most disciplines use APA)
- Choose the Narrative Statement that you wish to include (Narrative Statement for P&T review.)
- Report Options: Select whether to Include Works in Progress. They should be included only in 2nd-, 3rd-, 4th-, and 5th-year reviews, so “YES” should be selected for these reviews. If compiling a dossier for either a 6th-year or promotion to full professor review “NO” should be selected. Manuscripts in Progress are not to be reported in those levels of review.
- Select the file format: Microsoft Word
- Reminder: Keep track of changes while editing the document, use a footer or another method to indicate the number of the draft and the date of the most recent revision.
- Select the page size: letter
- Click on “RUN REPORT”
- A box will open with the question: “Do you want to open or save this file?”
- Click on “SAVE.”
- The SAVE AS screen for Word will open.
- Name the file (e.g., Joe Smith 4th-year dossier 2014) and select the folder in which to store it, then click on “SAVE.”
- The message “Download complete” will appear on the screen which indicates that the dossier file stored in Word is ready for use.
- The dossier file may be closed so it can be worked on later.
- The dossier file may be opened for review and editing.
- Once opened, the dossier file may be printed.