The Activity Insight Faculty Activity Report (FAR) is used by University College (UC) for its faculty performance reviews. The UC Directors of Academic Affairs (DAAs) have access to the FARs for the faculty members at their campuses, and the Discipline Coordinators (DCs), for the faculty members within their discipline.
TO REVIEW THE FARS GO TO:
FAR – Activity Insight Database is available at https://activityinsight.psu.edu/ and log in.
TWO WAYS TO REVIEW A FAR
A. REVIEW FAR ONLINE
[NOTE: Reviewers cannot make notes in the body of the FAR using this approach.]
Step 1: Click on “MANAGE DATA” in the blue box in the upper left side of the monitor screen.
- Step 2: Select a user (i.e., the name of a faculty member) from the drop down list. Click on “CONTINUE.” The table of contents of the FAR will be listed on the screen. Click on each section to be reviewed.
- Step 3: To review attachments to the FAR, go to the section “Personal and Contact Information” and scroll to the bottom of the screen. You will see a box titled “Supplementary documentation files.” Two pieces of information are provided for each attachment:
- *To the right of “Supplemental documentation not provided elsewhere” there will be a statement “Download “ <Title of attachment>. ” ”
- *To the right of the “Description of supplemental materials” (in the text box below the “Download” statement) there will be a brief description of the contents of attachment.
- *Click on the Download statement to open an attached file. [NOTE: You can easily print an attachment while it is open.]
B. DOWNLOAD FAR & SAVE AS A WORD DOCUMENT
[NOTE: Reviewers can make notes in the body of the FAR using this approach.]
Method 1: This approach can be used by (a) a faculty member for his or her own FAR and (b) by an administrator.
- Step 1: Click on “MANAGE DATA” in the blue box in the upper left side of the monitor screen.
- Step 2: Select a user (i.e., the name of a faculty member) from the drop-down list and click on “CONTINUE.”
- Step 3: Click on “RAPID REPORTS” in the upper right-hand corner of monitor screen. Several features used to select the type and desired content of the report then will be displayed in the bottom center of monitor screen.
- Step 4: Under “Report,” select from the drop-down menu “UNIVERSITY COLLEGE FACULTY ACTIVITY REPORT.”
- Step 5: Select the dates for the report year (e.g., Jan. 1, 2011 through Dec. 31, 2011 for the calendar year 2011).
- Step 6: Select “Microsoft Word” as the File Format. [NOTE: You may select “Adobe PDF” if you want a PDF file instead.]
- Step 7: Click on “Run Report.” A screen will open with the question: “Do you want to open or save this file?”
- *Click on “open” to review the FAR contents displayed online in the format that will be printed.
- *Click on “Enable Editing” to make changes, save and/or print.
- Step 8: To save the FAR: A standard Microsoft Word screen will appear. Click on “File” and then “Save As” to save the FAR as a WORD file which can be edited.
- Step 9: To save an attachment to the FAR: Each attachment must be saved in a separate file.
- Scroll through the FAR to locate “Attachments and Supplemental Materials” at the end of the report.
- Under the subheading “Personal and Contact Information” will be a brief description of the content of each attachment and a link to open the attachment. Click on the link.
- You will see the message “Do you want to save this file?” Click on “Save.”
- You will be directed to a Microsoft WORD screen where you follow the standard procedure to save a file.
Method 2: This approach can be used only by an administrator.
- Step 1: Select “UNIVERSITY COLLEGE FACULTY ACTIVITY REPORT.”
- Step 2: Select the dates for the report year (e.g., Jan. 1, 2023 through Dec. 31, 2023 for the calendar year 2023).
- Step 3: Whom to include – Groups to include - Click on Change Selection to your campus. Individuals to include - Click on the name of the faculty member.
- Step 5: Select “Microsoft Word” as the file format. [NOTE: You may select “Adobe PDF” if you want a PDF file instead.]
- Step 6: Select “letter” for page size.
- Step 7: Click on “Run Report.” The final report will be displayed on the screen. You also will have the option to save the report as a Word document on your computer.
PRINT THE FAR AND ATTACHMENTS
The FAR and each attachment to a FAR will be a separate file. Each file will be printed separately:
- To print the FAR after saving it: Follow the standard Microsoft Word procedures for printing a WORD or PDF file by clicking on “File” and select “Print.”
- To print an attachment to the FAR: Print an attachment when you open it to view it online.